Philip Kiely graduated from college in May 2020 with a degree in Computer Science. Six days before graduation, he published his first book called Writing for Software Developers (aff link), which made over $15,000 in the first 24 hours after launch.
The book went on to be quite successful, and Philip attributes writing the book as a major reason behind landing a job as the Head of Marketing at Gumroad.
On this episode, I have a great discussion with Philip about how he wrote his book, how he edited it, and how he launched it. We also discuss how he connected with Sahil Lavingia (the founder and CEO of Gumroad), and ended up with a job at the company.
Click play above to listen.
Here’s a list of resources which are mentioned in the episode:
- Writing for Software Developers by Philip Kiely
- Gumroad vs. Amazon KDP – Which is Better for Authors?
- Ep. 049 Over $8,400 in 1 Week from His First Book – Arvid Kahl
- Ep. 052 Zeno Rocha on Translating Books to Other Languages
- Authority by Nathan Barry
- Robin Bourjaily’s editing services (contact her at email@example.com)
- Philip Kiely’s website and Twitter account
Download the Audio File (MP3)
Right-click on this link and select “Save Link As…” to download this episode to your computer
Thanks for Listening!
To help out the show:
- Please subscribe on Apple Podcasts (previously iTunes)
- Kindly leave an honest review on Apple Podcasts (your rating really helps and I read every review)
New to Podcasts? Click here to learn more about how to listen.