Liam Porr is a UC Berkeley computer science student, programmer, and online blogger. He’s been featured in the media lately because of his work with GPT-3, an Artificial Intelligence language model that writes human-like text.
Liam basically created an entire blog post using GPT-3 that ended up hitting the #1 spot on Hacker News. He then wrote an Op-ed on The Guardian entitled “A robot wrote this entire article. Are you scared yet, human?” (see below for links to all the articles written by Liam using GPT-3).
On this episode, I have an insightful discussion with Liam about how he wrote all those articles using GPT-3 and what that means for the writing and publishing landscape. We also discuss the pros and cons of using artificial intelligence models for writing nonfiction content, and whether he thinks GPT-3 will replace authors in the future.
Click play above to listen.
Here’s a list of resources which are mentioned in the episode:
- MIT Technology Review article “A college kid’s fake, AI-generated blog fooled tens of thousands. This is how he made it.”
- Liam’s original blog post (written using GPT-3): “Feeling unproductive? Maybe you should stop overthinking.”
- Liam’s Op-Ed on The Guardian (also written using GPT-3): “A robot wrote this entire article. Are you scared yet, human?”
- Gwern.net (Gwern Branwen’s website)
- OthersideAI (tool that uses GPT-3 for email generation)
- Liam’s newsletter, Nothing But Words, and his personal blog
- Liam Porr on Twitter
Download the Audio File (MP3)
Right-click on this link and select “Save Link As…” to download this episode to your computer
Thanks for Listening!
To help out the show:
- Please subscribe on Apple Podcasts (previously iTunes)
- Kindly leave an honest review on Apple Podcasts (your rating really helps and I read every review)
New to Podcasts? Click here to learn more about how to listen.